Sri Lanka’s four major mobile operators – Bharti Airtel Lanka, Dialog Axiata, Hutchison Telecommunications Lanka, and SLT-Mobitel – have unveiled a groundbreaking initiative as part of the GSMA Open Gateway program. These operators are launching a series of network APIs designed to foster the growth of digital services and applications that work seamlessly across all mobile networks in Sri Lanka and globally.
The three primary APIs being introduced are:
- One Time Password (OTP) Validation: This feature ensures secure and convenient authentication, a critical component in digital services.
- Device Location: Developers can access device location data, enabling location-based services and applications.
- Carrier Billing: This facilitates easy, standardized payment methods for digital services, enhancing user convenience.
The GSMA Open Gateway initiative encourages developers worldwide to create innovative services by providing access to network resources. The goal is to ensure consistent, interoperable access to mobile networks. This program is developed in collaboration with mobile operators worldwide and adheres to industry standards and privacy regulations.
As part of this initiative, these APIs will not only be available for use within Sri Lanka but will also be globally federated, enabling developers to reach new subscribers beyond Sri Lanka as the Open Gateway initiative expands. This is expected to significantly boost digital adoption among Sri Lankan enterprises and developers by offering a single integration that functions seamlessly across all four operators in the country.
Mats Granryd, Director General of the GSMA, emphasized the significance of this initiative, highlighting how it can drive the creation of new digital services and technologies worldwide.
The GSMA Open Gateway initiative, with over 36 mobile operator groups from around the world, is set to open up exciting possibilities for the development of digital services and expand the reach of these services to a broader global audience. This marks a transformative moment for the digital future of Sri Lanka and demonstrates the power of industry collaboration.
Benefits of the GSMA Open Gateway Initiative:
- Standardization: The initiative provides a standardized way for developers to access network resources, streamlining the development process.
- Global Reach: Developers can expand their services beyond Sri Lanka to reach a worldwide audience as the Open Gateway coverage grows.
- Interoperability: The program ensures that digital services and apps can seamlessly work across all mobile networks, enhancing user experiences.
- Innovation: This initiative encourages the development of innovative digital services and applications, driving technological advancements.
- Collaboration: The GSMA Open Gateway initiative fosters collaboration between mobile operators, industry associations, developers, and content creators, leading to a richer digital ecosystem.
This announcement is a significant step forward in the evolution of Sri Lanka’s digital landscape and paves the way for exciting advancements in the global digital services sector.